25 3月 2008

Influences: Banknotes

I get inspiration from lots of places, and I don't think it possible to leave such sources out, so I'll be throwing up shout-outs to artists/mediums which have particularly influenced and/or impressed me. This is will be my first occasion to do so.

Bright colors and patterns which intermingle well always catch my eye; I've often found myself buying CDs back in Alaska solely because the album art speaks to me (which is a task in itself - this is the case for maybe... three or four albums out of an average of probably 500+ I search through on my routine Best Buy hunts).

Traveling internationally has given me chances to mingle with new people and cultures, but it has also helped to reveal the aesthetics of world currency to me. The USD bills never really impressed me much up until their recent color changes (their new subtlety is brilliant), and the EU Euro is arguably the most generic, elementary currency I have seen, but there are gems.

Of course, I'm being predictable by saying that the Japanese Yen is a favorite (for a roster of Yen bills from today and yesterday, check this, but beware - it's a pretty sizable PDF file), but the vibrant geometry, unsaturated colors, and sharp details make it a standout. This collection of factors also (in my mind) evokes parallels with traditional Japanese woodcuts.

Also on the faves list is the First Series of the Israeli New Sheqel. Vidid colors, breathtaking geometrical creations (on the back side of most of the bill denominations), and images that jump off the paper. What's not to love? The Second Series unfortunately dresses a bit too much in Euro-bland (しょうがない?), but that's why I'm not showing any pictures of it, hahaha.

Grace and peace tonight.